Thursday, November 5, 2009

Candy Magic


I think we stumbled on a great Halloween candy routine... at least for this year. I think we got lucky because we had definitely not planned it out ahead of time. As Nils and I were watching our kids run from door to door collecting gobs of sugary cavities, I mean candy, our conversation went something like this:
K: So, I remember counting out 20 pieces and giving away the rest of our candy to my dad's office. I liked the whole sorting process and I think 20 pieces was plenty.
N: Oh, that wasn't my experience. We always kept it all and we ate as much as we wanted.
K: Did you get sick?
N: I think getting sick was its own lesson... but I don't think I ever got sick. I rationed my candy so it would last all year.
K: Oh.

When we got home they both poured their candy on the floor. We all ate a few candies, we enjoyed a little sorting and Bea quizzed us on the names of each candy while Nathan asked what was in each one. Then in a moment of divine intervention... we had them each chose one last candy and we put all the candy away before we opened our last treats. Now our nightly ritual is:
  1. Near the end of dinner, Bea reminds us, "Af-er din-er, can-dee."
  2. We wait until we're all ready and then Nathan pours out the entire candy bag on the floor.
  3. We all squeal.
  4. We sort and talk candy until we all pick one.
  5. We all put the extras in the bag and the bag immediately goes out of sight in the cupboard.
  6. Candies are opened and enjoyed!
I know this system will not last forever, but for now... they seem content to choose 1 candy, even our sugar-lover, Bea. And, I think this system works for both Nils and I. Nils gets to pass on the fun experience of seeing gobs and gobs of candy and being excited about mass quantity and I get to pass on the fun of sorting and planning a special pick and we all experience kids that are not sick or excessively high on sugar.

2 comments:

  1. katie--this is the way our family does it too. tate can barely wait for "amen" after praying (after supper) before he says, "treat time."

    and, to be honest, this is the way i did it growing up and we did it that way for years and years! (in fact, i still feel guilty if i have more than one treat after supper!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's great! This gives me hope that our system can last into future years.

    ReplyDelete