Thursday, June 25, 2009

Chapstick

Beatrice loves chapstick. I remember in my life before children that chapstick tubes lasted a really long time and I even wondered occasionally, "Will I ever finish this?" and I often felt really satisfied if I actually used it all up before I lost it. Nowdays, they go rather quickly. First of all, they get lost more frequently because both children love to play the game of unpacking bags and purses and sometimes repacking them but often flinging the contents around the room. But secondly, Bea actually uses all the chapstick up. She starts by putting it on her lips. Then I calmly smile and say, "Good job! Now can you put the top on?" "No," she replies with a determined stare. "Can you keep it in your pocket until you need it again?" I say as if I expect her to be excited about this option. "No." Then if I get distracted or choose not to intervene, Bea goes through the rest of her chapstick routine. She moisturizes her cheeks, puts some on Mama (and Nathan if he'll let her), she conditions her hair and then tastes a tiny bit in her mouth. If there is still some left over, she digs her finger into the tube and looks for a nice surface to paint.

No comments:

Post a Comment