Tuesday, October 18, 2011

Reading

Nathan sounded out the word bug today! He was reading his Reading A-Z level B book from school with his dad and I was pretending not to notice nearby. It's been really fun to watch him put the pieces together, checking the pictures, looking at the letters, checking the sounds, matching words on the page to words he says.

As someone who teaches this to children for my work, I am very aware that I don't want to push my child too fast just because I know what step they'll probably take next in his reading development. My professional self says, "Great! He's right on track. He's using concepts of print, self-monitoring for meaning, using his phonemic awareness and phonics knowledge." But my mother self says, "He is the smartest 5 year old ever! What an amazing one-of-a-kind kid!"

No comments:

Post a Comment