Saturday, May 16, 2009

Yummy Spring Recipes (that my kids ate)

Here are some winners from our week. Yes, my kids even ate spinach! I have to admit, it may have been because when we made this soup I taught them how to slurp for the first time. I'm still going to assume it was my great cooking until I get proven wrong. Please share your recipe successes in the comments section and we'll never have to wonder what we should eat tonight!

Udon Noodles and Vegetables
(my adaptation from
Mooswood Restaurant Cooks at Home)

1 package Udon noodles or rice noodles

Sauce:
1/4 cup peanut butter
1/3 cup rice vinegar
1/4 cup soy sauce
1/3 cup warm water
1/3 cup sesame oil
2 garlic cloves, minced
Sprinkle of basil (1/4 cup if you have fresh basil... yum!)

1 bunch green onions, chopped
1 cucumber, peeled, seeded, chopped
1 tofu cake, cubed
3 carrots, shredded

Cook noodles, drain. Mix sauce ingredients. Combine noodles, sauce and veggies and tofu. Enjoy warm or chilled.

Sausage and Greens Soup
(my adaptation from Simply in Season by Mary Beth Lind and Cathleen Hockman-Wert)

4 Polish sausages chopped small
1 bunch green onions
4 cups chicken broth
3 potatoes, peeled and diced
1 1/2 cups evaporated milk or whole milk
1 big bunch spinach (can use kale, or other greens)

Brown sausage in soup pot and then take out of pot and set aside. Cook onions and potatoes in sausage drippings for a few minutes. Add broth and spinach and cook until potatoes are soft. Puree. Add milk and sausage. Enjoy!

1 comment: