Saturday, July 11, 2009

The Carrot Seed

Just like the little boy in the book The Carrot Seed by Ruth Krauss, we had planted a carrot seed. Actually, a lot of carrot seeds. We watched and waited and watered and weeded and they didn't come up. I checked the seed package to see how many days the seeds take to germinate and I counted out the 14 days after we planted. We waited and watched, and nothing came up. Finally after about a month, we decided the carrot seeds didn't work and we planted tomatoes and onions in that patch of the garden. Two months later, I was weeding around the tomatoes and... surprise! A baby carrot came up. I think I had been weeding them out for a while without realizing it. Bea and Nathan both got to sample the two baby carrots we harvested. Just like the boy in The Carrot Seed, our carrot was not for complying with the timeline of impatient people!

No comments:

Post a Comment